Thursday, August 28, 2008

It was a great idea... but just wasn't working out

Goodbye Marge.  

Apparently I got a flat tire on the I-15 North when I felt Marge shaking and pulled over. When I stopped her I made the mistake of  letting her idle and she started to get hot.  Well, I revved the engine like mechanic Steve had told me to do and a whole bunch of coolant decided to spill out of the second overflow hose (which wasn't attached to any tank).  Well, that freaked me out something major and convinced I would destroy my engine if I drove her any further, I had Marge towed back to Vegas to be looked at. 

Well, they did some work and came to the conclusion that she really needed her radiator taken off and cleaned out.  I didn't have the money for that, so I decided to just put her on the road and see how far I got.  I was going to wait until night so I went to the Flying J to do some Internet research and post a CL ad.  I got a hit so I drove down to Henderson to meet my potential buyer.  He wasn't interested so I decided to take a nap before going back on the road. 

Well, after my nap I was getting nervous because the wind was strong and I thought it might be unsafe to drive.  Then when i decided it was ok, Marge wouldn't start.  Grrrr....  So I just called it quits and called and booked a rental car.  Low and behold, she started right up the next morning so I took her over to the bank to make sure I had enough cash in my acct to cover the rental.  Once I did that I asked to use their Internet and they let me (cause they're nice like that 
here) and found someone else had expressed interest in Marge.  God had answered my prayers. But after they agreed to buy it, she wouldn't start again..


Long story short, Marge is sitting in their driveway right now not because they decided to buy her, but because they proved to be the kindest people I've ever met.  They came and helped me unload the rig and load up the rental car, let my dogs run around in their back yard, kept me company, fed me, and let me sleep in the rig in their driveway so I wouldn't head out exhausted. 
 

They even agreed to hold Marge until their mechanic neighbor could determine whether or not she was a rig they could invest in, at which point they agreed to either buy it or move it to a lot where I could sell it.  They even agreed to ship the books I couldn't fit in the rental.  I don't know what I would have done without them.



They rescued me and renewed my faith in humanity at the same time.  I will forever hold a place for them in my heart.  And they will always be in my prayers.



So, off with the rental car I've driven over the Hoover Damn and made it to the Grand Canyon Caverns, where I took an elevator over 150 feet underground to explore, and where I also took a horseback ride around the desert. Who knew my few times riding as a kid would come back to me so quickly.  It was great! 
 
After that I headed over to the Grand Canyon, walked the dogs around the rim trail, took lots of pictures, and then ended up at an AA meeting at sunset overlooking the canyon.  Talk about a spiritual experience.  


Last night I slept in the car behind a gas station and this morning watched the sunrise over the canyon before heading off to Flagstaff.  Buddy had to go to the bathroom and whining uncontrollably, I turned into the Northern Arizona History Museum parking lot where I discovered a trail.  So, we ended up taking an hour hike around this beautiful wooded canyon and the dogs got to walk through and drink crystal clear brook water.  What a way to start my day!  Who knew I could actually get up and get moving at 5:30 in the morning?!


Right now I'm on the 40 headed into New Mexico.  I've been enjoying route 66 as well.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there Moody, this is Quincy Johnson, I was a student of yours. I have a question for you. Please respond back asap via email.

QuincyMJohnson@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

I'm just seeing this. I hope all is well. -Moody